Curried Salmon Pie with Cauliflower Topping
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 T ghee (or clarified butter)
1 ½ t cumin seeds
½ t fennel seeds
1 small cinnamon stick
1 t mustard seeds
20 fresh curry leaves
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4cm piece fresh ginger, grated
1 fresh long red chilli, finely chopped
2 T fresh coriander, finely chopped
3 t ground turmeric
3 t garam masala
1 T tamarind puree
320ml coconut milk
1 t cornflour
1 T lemon juice
1 kg boneless salmon pieces
1 C frozen peas, thawed
2 T fresh coriander leaves, chopped, extra
1 head (about 1kg) cauliflower, cut into small florets
¾ C coconut milk
1 ½ T ghee (or clarified butter)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. For the cauliflower topping, place the cauliflower and coconut milk in a saucepan over low heat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up florets, for 35 minutes or until very tender. Season well and add 1 ghee. Use a stick blender to process until very smooth. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, reserve 2 T onion. Heat the ghee in a large ovenproof frying pan or shallow casserole dish over medium-low heat. Add the cumin, fennel, cinnamon and ¾ t mustard seeds. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add half the curry leaves. Cook, covered, for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and coriander. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Stir in turmeric and garam masala for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add tamarind and 300ml of the coconut milk. Bring to the boil. Combine remaining coconut milk and cornflour in a bowl. Stir into spice mixture. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Season well. Remove from heat and cool.
- Stir in the lemon juice, fish, peas and extra coriander. Spread cauliflower puree over the fish mixture. Use a fork to rake the surface. Drizzle with 1 t ghee. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until fish is cooked through.
- Heat remaining ghee in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add reserved onion. Season with salt. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Stir in remaining mustard seeds for 1 minute or until aromatic. Stir in remaining curry leaves for 30 seconds until aromatic. Spoon over the top of fish pie.
Recipe adapted from taste.com.au
To order salmon for this recipe, click here!