Salmon Tartare in a Corn Bread Arepa
400g sashimi salmon
½ red onion, finely chopped
1T sambal oelek (spicy red pepper condiment)
1t sesame oil
1T soy sauce
½ C mayonnaise
¼ t wasabi paste
¾ C water
1 C corn meal
½ t salt
3 T neutral oil
50g roquette or baby spinach
2 avocados, sliced
1 t sesame seeds
- For the arepas, pour water into a bowl and add the salt and corn meal. Mix and knead until dough is smooth then let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Take a portion of the dough and shape it onto a ball. Press it with your palm to form around flat shape about 10cm in diameter.
- Add oil to a frying pan then add the arepas. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes each side until crispy and puffed up slightly.
- Cut the salmon into small pieces. Add the onion, sambal oelek, sesame oil and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix mayonnaise and wasabi together.
- Cut arepa in half horizontally. Spread wasabi mayo on the bottom half. Add rocket, salmon tartare and sliced avocado. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and place the other half of arepa on top.
Recipe from the High Country Salmon Kitchen
To order salmon for this dish, click here!