Hot Smoked Salmon Kedgeree
1 C white rice, uncooked
2 t cumin seeds
2 t coriander seeds
5 t olive oil
2 onions, sliced
1 t salt
½ t paprika
½ t garam masala
500g hot smoked salmon, broken into bite-sized pieces
225g frozen peas, defrosted under a cold tap
2 T finely chopped fresh coriander
2 T finely snipped fresh chives
4 freerange eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and quartered
1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Cook rice according to packet directions, set aside.
- Put a large, deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and stir until they begin to pop. Be careful not to burn them. Crush to a fine powder in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar.
- In the same pan, warm the oil over a medium heat. Add the onions and salt and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Add the ground spices, including the paprika and garam masala, reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the rice. Stir until it is coated with all the spices. Add the hot-smoked salmon and peas and cook until they are warmed through.
- Take off the heat and stir in the cream, coriander and chives. Top with the eggs. Serve with a wedge of lemon.
Recipe adapted from BBC Food.
To order salmon for this dish, click here!