1 t extra virgin olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
300g mixed mushrooms, finely chopped
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
2 T each chopped tarragon, parsley & chives
2 sheets frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
1.2kg salmon fillet, skinless, pin-boned, trimmed to a rectangular shape
1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 t cold water
Rocket leaves, to serve
- Heat butter and oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, then add the mushroom and cook for 10-12 minutes until all liquid has evaporated from the vegetables. Cool completely, then stir in mascarpone, lemon zest, herbs. Season.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place 1 pastry sheet on prepared tray (leave the 2nd sheet in the fridge to keep cool) and prick all over with a fork. Bake for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove from oven and cool completely. Remove remaining pastry from the fridge. Precooking of the base will help prevent a soggy bottom to your Wellington.
- Spread half the mushroom mixture over the cooled pastry base, leaving a 5cm border, and place salmon on top. Spread remaining mushroom mixture over top and sides of salmon and drape over the 2nd sheet of pastry, tucking under pastry base. Decorate the edges if desired. Brush all over with egg wash and chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove Wellington from the fridge and bake for 30-35 minutes, then reduce oven to 180°C and cook for a further 10 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden. Remove from oven and rest for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into slices and garnish with rocket leaves.
Recipe adapted from delicious.com.au.
To order salmon for this dish, click here!